Berwick Parish Church
Berwick Parish Church, dedicated to The Holy Trinity & Saint Mary, is a rare example of Civil War Church. The church was built in 1650 from the stones of George Hume, Earl of Dunbar’s palace, built on the site of Berwick Castle.
Opened in 1652, it is the only parish church built during Cromwell’s Commonwealth. The church contains one of the earliest installations by Sir Edward Lutyens, a John Knox Renaissance pulpit, and a chest made of panels from Hume’s palace. It was built by the men who became The Coldstream Guards, whose colours are laid up in the church.
Facilities: Disabled access and toilet
Opening Times: The church is open each day from 9am to 5pm. Group visits with a guided talk by arrangement with the church warden, tel: 01289 308553. Sunday worship 8.30am, 10am and 6pm – All welcome – Hearing loop installed.
Photo Credits: © Copyright Dean Gartland